Why improving energy efficiency in electrical applications

Every year, PPL updates its electrical consumption data in the United States and in the United Kingdom, thus drawing a picture of the national electric system. Due to the enduring of a critical economic situation, which is basically on deadlock, it becomes mandatory saving on energy consumptions. RENOVIS proposes a great number of solutions to achieve such saving goals without stopping or slowing down the technical activity of the plant itself, thus at production parity.



The fluidic machines normally present in industrial plants are generally powered by electric motors that are often non-regulated, i.e. functioning according to an ON/OFF logic. This implies that, in situation of partial load, the energy waste related to the single machine are very high and the overall performance of the application is affected. In order to fix this problem, there are several regulation systems. Independently from the kind of powered equipment, the best solution in order to save energy (compared to proportional valves, shutters, etc.) is the installation of an inverter, with consequent economic and operating benefits.

Installing an inverter in an automated system essentially means:

  • saving energy;
  • optimizing resources and processes;
  • integrating management, control and supervision systems;
  • increasing the life of the plant;
  • reducing maintenance costs and times;
  • improving the overall performance of the plant.


High efficiency electric motors are equipment that suffer less energy waste compared to the traditional ones, thus they need less supply energy for the same produced outcome. The installation of high efficiency electric motors allows to achieve economic benefits in a short time, thanks to the savings on the characteristic electric consumption. It is important to consider that the total cost of an electric motor’s life cycle (typically more than 10 years) is composed for the 98.4% of its electric energy consumption, and for the remaining 1.6% of the initial investment (purchase plus installation) and maintenance. In a short time, the generated saving not only covers the initial investment, but becomes a real source of income. In the next years, the adoption of some types of motors instead of others will become mandatory (Community directive EuP 2005/32/EC approved by regulation no. 640/2009).


The adoption of electrical energy saving system (such as inverters) often generates a distortion of the signals of current and voltage, thus creating harmonic currents that negatively affect other electric equipment installed on the same network, and also cause higher consumptions.

Besides, there is also the possibility of overload, overheating and various faults. It is therefore necessary to reduce the probability of such undesired effects in order to guarantee the expected energy saving. The best solution in this situation is to install proper filters cleaning the current signal and restoring an ideal situation.


Voltage and current signals acting as inputs to an electric equipment are normally phase-shifted. Not all the power absorbed by a machinery is convertible in mechanical work, but only a partial quota that increases as the phase shift between absorbed current and voltage decreases. More operating hours mean less work quality and more phase shifting between voltage and current. This causes the reactive current circulating on the supply lines to increase while the mechanical work produced remains constant, and consequently more energy waste in the conductors. A power factor correction system makes the phase shifting between voltage and current decrease, in order to decrease the overall absorbed current. The purpose of this power factor correction is, most of all, to reduce the energy waste proportionally to the number of machinery and lines in an industrial facility. A power factor correction of a properly sized industrial electric plant is the intervention that guarantees the shortest time for an economic reward.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.